Monday, May 22, 2006

Eurovision and Role Models

Eurovision finals were yesterday! ... Finland won. I cried - not from losing the bet on who would win... but from the sad state of this generation's role models. You know something isn't right when a bunch of 7-10 year olds are screaming for a group of men who look like a combination of orcs, vampires, and Egyptian mummies. In Lordi's own words, "Kids love us! We look like their toys!" That is what's wrong with this generation!
Have we become so delinquent that our children go to sleep cradling gross monsters? Our sons want to be like Finland's Lordi and our daughters want to emulate Iceland's Silvia Night. But what are these role models teaching them? The lyrics for "Hard Rock Hallelujah" give off a confusing enough message that even adults can't tell if these Finns are Satanists or true Believers. Silvia Night "sniffs chocolate". The kids don't all get the chocolate part, but they do recognize it as being the same as their older brothers and sisters sniffing cocaine. And it's popularized and encouraged.
Who draws the line for the children? Or do we want our next generation to be so immune to the grossness of monsters that Hell would seem the same as their own playgrounds?
I have no ill feelings towards the Finns or Silvia Night. I understand they want to do something different, break away from the system and shock the world... go for it! But as a role model, what image are you conveying to the children? What do they associate you with? Are you improving their mannerisms, grace and culture? Or are you speeding up the degnerating process?
As a parent, what are you doing to counteract this horrific brainwashing of our kids? Who do they look up to? Do you have limits on what you expose your kids to? It's not open-minded to say that anything goes... It is delinquency to not care what input your child gets!

6 Comments:

Blogger Christina Cuevas said...

Agreed,very well written .. you should publish this

22 May 2006 at 21:45  
Blogger Santi said...

TTL that i didn't get to see it, otherwise i would have gotten sooo discouraged. but you know Anj, you should see "The Apple". those that get that far are normally already taken by the dark side, that's why they act and promote things like those....

22 May 2006 at 21:52  
Blogger Santi said...

hey anj... i miss your posts :( where have you gone?

30 May 2006 at 07:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you change your yahoo.com e-mail address? mail I send to you has come back... any way. thank you for your message for my kids birthday. Bye for now.. from Daniel

30 May 2006 at 13:17  
Blogger whacky said...

my address is the same: whackywhazzo@yahoo.com ... I don't know why your mail is being returned... I'll try to write you and see if you can reply to that.

30 May 2006 at 14:39  
Blogger whacky said...

Santi, I'm sorry I haven't been posting more often... alot of people have complained. I'll try to be more faithful. Things are really busy and I have to write when I have the inspiration. I don't like to just fill up the blog with all kinds of doodles. But I will try to post more stuff so there's something new for people. Love you!

30 May 2006 at 14:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home