Monday, February 13, 2006

When Is It Enough For You?

I stumble, you kick me hard
I fall, you hold me down
I struggle to my feet only to have you push me over

I fight the tears, you slap me
I bite my tongue, you insult me
I smile again only to have you mock me publicly

"Be loving, be kind!" I hear my mind
I try to reach out, you push me back
My heart pleads, but you keep smashing it

How many times will you kick me when I'm down?
How much longer will I suppress my hurt
And keep trying to do what I know is right?

They say everything you do comes back to you
It seems that every wrong thing I've ever done
Is being repaid and meted out to me right now - by you!

If it's true that you reap what you sow,
When will I see a hint of gentleness
A glimpse of softness in the midst of your cold heart?

Know your friends, but know your enemies even better
I knew you as a tender heart, loved you as a friend,
But now you're so changed... I don't know you anymore

Once you ached to see me cry
Now you provoke and jeer it on
I struggle to breathe but your punches are consistent

I crawl on hands and knees cuz you never let me stand
Perhaps one day you'll see the pain
And then maybe there will be a speck of regret

Most likely, not! Yet still one must fight on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home